Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Cake + Chocolate Chip Cookies = Madness

Though this isn't the first time I've ever baked for a long distance package, it's defintely the first valentine's day away from the bf. Well technically it's only the second v-day but that's not the point. Basically this whole week has been full of happy couples holding hands around campus and various fliers and coupons and sales letting me know that yes, this Saturday is one of those Saturdays you don't want to be alone on. And yes, I am a little bitter about it. So I harnessed that bitter energy and went all out on a bake-athon to create sweetness for valentine's day. After all, I've been slacking on fattening up the significant other. Not as easy as you'd think from 600 miles away. That combined with the almighty stress that is school. In case you were curious, in my world, stress equals hardcore baking. I whipped out the brand spanking new Martha Stewart Cookies book and went for the four recipes that seemed the most comforting and tasty. Eating my feelings through tester cookies? No, never. Not me. Anyway, that means that the rest of the week will be cookie week! Get excited.




Aw, look at that lonely little cookie. Anyways, this first recipe, compliments of Martha herself, is the traditional chocolate chip cookie with a cake-y twist. Since I can't resist anything with the word cake in it, naturally I had to test these out. And I've found that things that are traditional with a snazzy twist are just plain tasty. And lovely. As well as snuggly and exciting all at the same time. Oh, I sense symbolism. No worries that's about as deep as I'll get. Back to the sugar. These cookies have a little less sugar and butter in them to get a thicker and fluffier texture than your standard tollhouse result. As a result they're a little less sweet than I'm used to, but I have to admit that Martha did good on this one.

Onwards to the good stuff...

Cakey Chocolate Chip Cookies
yield: 3 dozen

Ingredients
2 1/2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
14 tbsp (1 3/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 c. granulated sugar
1/4 c. light brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla extract (add an additional tsp. if you want to follow my "always add extra vanilla rule)
2 large eggs
2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips (use mini chocolate chips for the best cookies. trust me)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2. Whisk together flour and baking soda in a bowl
3. Put butter and both sugars in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. I did it all by hand. I don't recommend it.
4. Reduce speed to low. Add salt, vanilla, and eggs; mix until combined, about 1 minute. Add flour mixture; mix until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
5. Drop heaping tablespoons of dough onto baking sheets (lined with parchment paper if you'd like), spacing about two inches apart. Bake until cneters are set and edges are colden, 10 - 12 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through.

6. Let cool on baking sheets 2 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks; let cool completely. Eat and be merry!

Related Stories Widget by LinkWithin

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Spain by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP